GRCC GEARUP—Solving the Mathematical Practices Puzzle: How to Develop Students’ Skills and Metacognition in Math
For our students to learn mathematical content at the depth expected, students need instruction that will develop the disposition and ways of thinking that are the foundation of math learning. Participants will reflect on what supports teachers will need to help students develop metacognition in mathematics by
- Defining the two types of mathematics standards
- Defining practices for metacognition
- Analyzing the learning progression of a mathematical practice
- Developing questions to foster metacognition in mathematics
- Determining next steps for implementing continued support to promote metacognition that requires students to examine, externalize, and apply their thinking
Can you imagine building an environment full of motivated, engaged, and eager students who own their learning?